Two generations of a family with deep ties to the island bought a 1946 Farm Pond ranch house on Martha’s Vineyard. The house was designed by Max Moore, a modernist architect. The new owners embraced the mid-century design but wished to make it into a fresh version of itself.
New exterior doors were installed across the facade facing Vineyard Sound, and the long deck was rebuilt to handle the functions of outdoor dining and lounging.
Most of the interior spaces were retained, and the kitchen was opened up to connect the living and dining spaces. A sitting room facing the street, away from the water views, was lightly divided with a screen to create a family TV room.
The bedrooms are located at opposite ends of the house. At one end is the mor eprivate suite for the patriarch of the family, while the two bedrooms and baths at the other end are occuppied by his daughters and their families.
The original open-sided garage was enclosed and part of it sequestered for indoor access to the basement through a large laundry and utility room.
Builder: Billy Regan
Photographer: Meredith Hunnibell